Thursday, May 5, 2016

Working Girls

Today wasn't a big day, but I went the hive to check on the girls' bee juice. I replaced two jars since they had all but finished their juice. They were so calm that I wondered if I should suit up or not. I was able to change out the jars in about a minute so I didn't suit up nor did I get stung. *whew* Honestly, they were unfazed by me being there. I made sure to approach the hive from the side. If you walk toward them from the front, you're walking into their flight path and that will make them a little angry. They will fly into you and you could definitely get stung that way, so bee careful.


I did see one of my girls working hard on a pear tree blossom. I can't verify if it was in fact one of MY girls, but her coloring is like our colony so I'm going to claim her. If you look closely on either side of her, her "pollen pants" are getting pretty full. She has yellowish pollen collecting in pouches on her rear legs. She will rub her legs together and mixed with nectar, the pollen will stick to the hairs on her rear legs. She will actually carry her weight in pollen before bringing it back to the hive. 
Just another thing that makes honeybees so dang cool. Until next time, bee kind! 🐝

2 comments: